Happy New Year!
For our first meeting of 2015 for next week, please read the first three sections of Chapter 24: A War That Killed Christendom (1914-18); Great Britain: The Last Years of Christian Empire; Catholics and Christ the King: The Second Age of Catholic Missions.
Please answer one of the following questions:
- What were the religious implications that instigated World War I (WWI)? How did fervent nationalism in Europe combine with Christianity?
- Describe the effects WWI had upon Russian csar Nicholas II and the Russian Orthodox Church. What was the Orthodox Church like after czarist rule ended? Describe the policies of the Bolsheviks against the Orthodox Church and Christianity in general. Why did they hold this anti-Christian view?
- Describe the effects of the fall of the Ottoman Empire after WWI ended in 1918. How were the Orthodox churches (Miaphysite and Dyophysite) affected by the empire’s demise? What were the events that led up to the genocide of Armenian Christians between 1915-1916? Who were the ‘Assyrian Christians‘?
- Describe the conflict between Turkish armies and Greece during this time. What was the outcome to Christianity in Turkey?
- Describe how the conflict in the north-eastern counties of Ulster in Ireland between Protestants and Catholics occurred. Describe the activities of William P. Nicholson during this time for northern Ireland. Discuss what was going on in Wales and Scotland as well.
- Describe Pope Pius XI’s vision for his campaign of ‘Christ the King’ in terms of Catholic missions. How did the Catholic Church generate revenue from this? How were South and Central Americas affected by the new activities of the Church?
- Describe the Mexican Revolution of 1910 and its militant anti-Catholic activities. How did the Church fight back? What policies did the anti-Catholics fight against? Who were the ‘Cristeros‘?
- Describe the Vatican’s relationship with fascism and Benito Mussolini during the 1920s. Describe the creation of the Vatican State.
- Describe the Vatican’s relationships and dealings with Adolf Hitler and the Nazis in Germany. Despite all this, why did Rome see Communism as a greater threat than fascism?
- Why did Pope Pius XII support fascist forces against the Spanish Republic in Spain? Describe the relationship Spanish dictator Francisco Franco had with the Church.