Home » Posts tagged 'King James II'
Tag Archives: King James II
For next Tuesday, July 15 please read the first two sections of Chapter 20: Protestant Awakenings – Protestants and American Colonization and The Fight for Protestant Survival (1600 – 1800).
Please write a one page summary on one of the following topics:
- How did early English settlers to North America use Protestant rhetoric to justify colonizing eastern North America in relation to Catholic settlers from Spain and France?
- Summarize how the Puritan and Reformed themes of covenant, community, and being in the “wilderness” formed early New England identity. What were the theological aims of the Puritans? Were they separatists?
- Describe how English Protestant evangelical aims were different than Catholic missionaries to the native Indians. Include the efforts of Roger Williams and John Eliot to the Native American population.
- Describe the efforts of William Penn, the Quakers, the formation of the Pennsylvania colony, and their belief in the freedom of religion.
- Summarize the reign of King James II of England and the political turmoil he caused. Who were the ‘Whigs’ and the ‘Tories’ and why were they important? Describe his relationship with Prince Willem of Orange of the Netherlands and his campaign against Catholics.
- How did John Locke appeal to the Bible to provide the basis for his philosophy of the social contract and raise doubts about a sacred monarchy?
- How did England become the major super-power of the world during this era in history? What events contributed to the expansion of the English empire? How did Britain make Protestantism to become the forefront of Christendom and Christianity?
Please submit by Monday, July 14.